Re: VB and DLL for Quake editing

Barry D Bloom (bdb0004@jove.acs.unt.edu)
Thu, 9 May 1996 06:40:56 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 06:40:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Barry D Bloom <bdb0004@jove.acs.unt.edu>
To: quake-dev@gamers.org
Subject: Re: VB and DLL for Quake editing

On Thu, 9 May 1996, Olivier Montanuy wrote:

> > if a compromise is what you are looking for, then Visual C++ really is
> >the choice. MFC is no bed of roses for sure,
> We're talking normal human with a life, not geeks who can learn a poorly
> documented hundred-class C++ library, when not working for money.
> I assume you learned MVC as part of your job?

Yes, I have, and I am not a eyes closed pundit about it either. It is
wonderful for the management of an application framework. I am suprised
anyone would honor me with the term "geek with no life" for learning it.

The truth is, if you want a wiz-bang interface for your Quake editor with
good speed, VC++ is the answer. I find it hard to believe that anyone
could produce a more solid framework to build upon than the one generated
by VC. All the nice and neat common controls of the Win32 development
enviornment are nicely packaged up and the code, even though microsoft,
is better tested than anything I could write.

> >Personally, I think it is going to take a Direct Draw appliction to
> >acheive the ultimate goal of 3D Preview.
> That's probably right. We're all counting on hackers like you to write
> the middleware, so that normal human can use DirectDraw ;-)

DirectDraw is not that hard. There are plenty of good examples on how to
use it, and it provides the basic functionality any game would need. The
cool thing about it is that if I have model X video card which has all
sorts of hardware gadgets, any direct draw code will use these directly.
While, someone else who has model Y with no hardware gadgets, gets all
those wizbang features in software emulation, but I don't have to change
anything about my code. All while I have a very tiny layer of
abstraction between me and the video card itself!

Anyway, enough chanting....

Barry Bloom
bdb0004@jove.acs.unt.edu