Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:58:00 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Bernd Kreimeier <Bernd.Kreimeier@NeRo.Uni-Bonn.DE>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:58:00 +0200 (MET DST)
To: quake-dev@gamers.org, bernd@marvin.nero.uni-bonn.de
Subject: Re: Doom2 pics with Quake palette

From: Jimmy Sieben (private mail, public reply)

>On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Bernd Kreimeier wrote:
>> Legal issues: you should not distribute DOOM registered or commercial
>> textures. It would be great if you could separate those from the
>> DOOM shareware WAD. Next, the conversion is a "derivative work". We ...

> Just curious, why would shareware textures be different? I thot those
>are still copyrighted by id?

That's why I mentioned "permission", as in "permitted derivative works".
Because the DOOM.EXE is identical in shareware/registered/retail,
permission of redistribution is not likely for DOOM2 and registered
artwork. Of course, we might not get permission for shareware even.
OTOH, id might put it under the same free license John Carmack mentioned
in Info (3), which is kinda necessary with mipmaps in the BSP files.

On the gripping hand, distribution of a conversion tool that everyone
applies to whatever DOOM stuff he (rightfully) owns is still the last
resort.

b.