Re: Info from John Carmack (4)

Mike Ruete (ruetem@lafvax.lafayette.edu)
Sun, 09 Jun 1996 17:21:19 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 17:21:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike Ruete <ruetem@lafvax.lafayette.edu>
Subject: Re: Info from John Carmack (4)
To: quake-dev@gamers.org

> This is a comment from Dave Taylor.

[snip]
> > c) ...
> > Would it be possible to run LinuxQuake with DDE/IPC
> > to control player position and LOS from the editor, i.e. to
> > use LinuxQuake as an interactive preview (including monster
> > animation)?
>
> It would of course be possible to write this. However, it won't be
> written. Sorry.

This sounds like the Duke3D (build) editor. If you haven't seen
it, you owe it to yourself to check it out and get an idea of its power.
It actually uses the build engine inside the editor to show you *exactly*
what your level will look like in the game (of course, your gamma
settings won't be the same, and some of the sprites are scaled
differently). It also allows a lot of editing in the 3d preview mode.
Things like light levels, textures, floor/cieling height/slants can be
changed. It's really an incredibly powerful editor, and if I ever try to
develop a quake editor, i'd try and make it look alot like the Duke3d editor.
Oh, and running the editor in 800x600, it displays the 3d preview faster
than the actual game runs in 320x240. :)

-Mike Ruete