MAP Format

Stephen Crowley (stephenc@lubricant.free.org)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:22:20 -0500

From: Stephen Crowley <stephenc@lubricant.free.org>
To: "'Quake Developers'" <quake-editing@nvg.unit.no>
Subject: MAP Format
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 19:22:20 -0500

Hello everyone,

Please ignore my last post, I realised how it works now. Sorry about that.

Now on to the question.
Has anyone successfully taken a .map file and compiled it to a .bsp yet?
I started work on a program to do this a few days ago, but I need a little help.

I can read all the sets of points from the maps and create a bunch of planes.
Here is the first brush from johnc99.map:

A B C D
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
0.000000 -1.000000 0.000000 -720.000000
-1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 -208.000000
0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 496.000000
0.000000 0.000000 -1.000000 0.000000
0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -16.000000

Can anyone verify if this is correct or not? Do I need to make all the distances positive?

Now that I have the planes, how would I go about creating a
complex polyhedron? (private e-mail please)

I have a 3d node builder w/ source that will take a list of convex polygons
in text format and build the node tree. But I need it to take polyhedrons instead.
It would be a lot easier, I think, to use a modified version of it instead of trying to
write my own. It's is very efficient, if anyone wants it just mail me. I guess I just
can't wait until Id release theirs. :-)

Thanks,
Stephen